Leader Of The Opposition
Leader Of The Opposition
| The constitution and laws of Belize
47. (1) There shall (except at times when there are no members of the House of Representatives who do not support the Government) be a Leader of the Opposition who shall be appointed by the Governor-General.
(2) Whenever there is occasion for the appointment of a Leader of the Opposition the Governor-General shall appoint the member of the House of Representatives who appears to him most likely to command the support of a majority of the members of the House who do not support the Government: or, of no member or the House who appears to him to command such support, the member of the House who appears to him to command the support of the largest single group of members of the House who do not support the Government.
(3) If occasion arises to appoint a Leader of the Opposition during the period between a dissolution of the National Assembly and the day on which the ensuing election of members of the House of Representatives is held, an appointment may be made as if the National Assembly had not been dissolved.
(4) The office of Leader of the Opposition shall become vacant-
a. if the holder of the office ceases to be a member of the House of Representatives otherwise than by reason of a dissolution of the National Assembly;
b. by virtue of section 59(3) of this Constitution, he is required to cease to perform his functions as a member of the House; or
c. if he is removed from office by the Governor-General under the provisions of subsection (5) of this section.
(5) If it appears to the Governor-General that the Leader of the Opposition is no longer able to command the support of a majority of the members of the House of Representatives who do not support the Government or (if no member of the House appears to him to be able to command such support) the support of the largest single group of the House who do not support the Government, he shall remove the Leader of the Opposition from office.
(6) Subject to the provisions of section 61(3)b. of this Constitution during any period in which there is vacancy in the office of Leader of the Opposition, the provisions of this Constitution containing the requirement that action shall be taken in accordance with the advice of or after consultation with, or with the concurrence of, the Leader of Opposition shall have effect as if there were no such requirement.
(7) The powers of the Governor-General under this section shall be exercised by him in his own deliberate judgment.
Constitution of Belize
Chapter I - The State And The Constitution
1. The State
Chapter II - Protection Of Fundamental Rights And Freedoms
Chapter III - Citizenship
Chapter IV - The Governor-general
Chapter V - The Executive
37. Prime Minister
42. Attorney General
45. Deputy Minister
Chapter VI - The Legislature
The House Of Representatives
Powers And Procedure
Chapter VII - The Judiciary
Chapter VIII - The Public Service
109. Auditor General
Chapter IX - Finance
117. Contingencies Fund
119. Public Debt
Chapter X - Miscellaneous
121. Code of conduct
122. National Symbols
125. Removal from office
130. National Seal
Constitution Leader Opposition 2022