Powers Procedures And Privileges
Powers, Procedures And Privileges
| The constitution and laws of Belize
POWERS, PROCEDURES AND PRIVILEGES
62. The National Assembly may make laws for the peace, order and good government of Belize.
63. The National Assembly shall not have the power to amend the Constitution until after the first general election following independence (save for minor amendments on which there is unanimous agreement in the National Assembly).
64. Thereafter the powers of the National Assembly to amend the Constitution shall be as follows:
a. No amendment shall be made to the Constitution except by a Bill approved by a final vote in the House of Representatives of no less than two-thirds of the membership; and
b. in regard to the provisions relating to Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, the House of Representatives, the Judiciary, the Belize Advisory Council, the Public Services Commission, and the provisions concerning amendment of the Constitution, no amendment shall be made unless ninety days have elapsed between the presentation of a Bill and its second reading in the House of Representatives and the Bill is approved in the House of Representatives by a final vote of no less than three-quarters of the membership.
65. A Minister shall be permitted to address the House of which he is not a member, but shall not have a vote in that House.
66. No civil or criminal proceedings may be instituted against any member of either House for words spoken before, or written in a report to, either House or a committee of both Houses, or for any matter brought by him in the form of a petition, bill, resolution, motion or otherwise.
67. Except as otherwise provide in the Constitution, all questions proposed for decision in either House shall be determined by a majority of the votes of the members present and voting.
68. A Speaker elected from among members of the House of Representatives (or in the case of the Senate, the President) shall have an original vote, but not a casting vote. A Speaker elected from outside the House of Representatives (or in the case of the Senate, the President) shall have no vote.
Constitution of Belize
Chapter I - The State And The Constitution
1. The State
Chapter II - Protection Of Fundamental Rights And Freedoms
Chapter III - Citizenship
Chapter IV - The Governor-general
Chapter V - The Executive
37. Prime Minister
42. Attorney General
45. Deputy Minister
Chapter VI - The Legislature
The House Of Representatives
Powers And Procedure
Chapter VII - The Judiciary
Chapter VIII - The Public Service
109. Auditor General
Chapter IX - Finance
117. Contingencies Fund
119. Public Debt
Chapter X - Miscellaneous
121. Code of conduct
122. National Symbols
125. Removal from office
130. National Seal
Constitution Clerk Assembly 2022
Electing California’s Assembly Speaker California Globe
Open to letter to Mr Speaker: Looming constitutional crisis in national assembly TheCable
Crisis in National Assembly over Tambuwal’s Appointment as Clerk THISDAY Newspapers
Milwaukee, Dane County clerks subpoenaed by January 6 Committee The Center Square